x5 problem

gadget001

I have a 2001 x5 which would not move forward even thought it was in drive with the engine running. The failure code displayed was 'trans. failsafeprog." I stopped the engine for a few minutes and restarted. The car would move forward but still exhibited the same failure code. Other symptoms included the AC not functioning properly and various other warning lights on including the 'abs" light. Any one have any suggestions as to the potential problem?

andreanrc

I have a 2001 x5 which would not move forward even thought it was in drive with the engine running. The failure code displayed was 'trans. failsafeprog." I stopped the engine for a few minutes and restarted. The car would move forward but still exhibited the same failure code. Other symptoms included the AC not functioning properly and various other warning lights on including the 'abs" light. Any one have any suggestions as to the potential problem?
Clearly a software problem. I am afraid you will have to talk to the dealer.

When you have a lot errors unrelated popping up like this, it is frequently a software problem as andreanrc mentioned. It can be caused by battery or alternator problems. I had a similar problem on my 330cic when the alternator failed. The electrical gremlins glitched the computer systems and the software needed to be re-downloaded.