Jalopnik Review of the 2018 BMW X2

The 2018 BMW X2 crossover came out to mixed reactions from the enthusiast community, I still think the roundel badge on the C-pillar is a little much. But after doing a few hundred miles in one of these, I've decided the X2 is actually kind of awesome if you can appreciate what it is: a faster, fancier Subaru Crosstrek.

This pug-snouted high riding hatchback is, like most other mass market cars, a crossover between what a car and SUV are supposed to be?small footprint with rough road and substantial cargo capability. Plus, of course, a dash of performance driving pretenses. That's what the extra BMW badge is there to remind you of.

Don't let the number fool you?this isn't a crossover version of our beloved rear- and all-wheel drive 2 Series coupe. The X2 uses the same Mini-derived platform as the X1, and is largely similar save for the body.

And even though I expected to say that awkwardly placed extra emblem is where this car's relationship to any other "Ultimate Driving Machine" ends, I have to admit the X2's pretty fun to drive.

The xDrive28i trim I drove has a 2.0-liter turbocharged inline four-cylinder rated to 228 horsepower and 258 lb-ft of torque. That gets put to all four wheels through an eight-speed automatic you can manually shift with paddles or plus/minus clicks of the shifter.

BMW says that the car weighs 3,662 pounds with a total length of 172.2 inches and width at 71.8. The company also claims that, at least in optimal conditions without too much junk in the trunk, the X2 can zip from stopped to 60 mph in 6.3 seconds which is pretty darn snappy.

With all the seats folded down you're supposed to get 50.1 cubic feet of cargo space (there's 21.6 behind the seats) and the payload max is just a hair under 900 pounds.

Fuel economy claims are an impressive 31 mpg highway and 25 in combined driving. The trip computer in my test car showed approximately 24 mpg after a long weekend with a fair bit of driving in traffic and high-RPM flogging.

Optional M Sport suspension lowers the X2 by about 0.4 inches and, you guessed it, "provide(s) enhanced sportiness and dynamism."

Read more on Jalopnik.