I could really use some help

dalamo

I have a 99' 323i and I'm really concerned about my car. I originally bought it about 9 months ago and I put in some work because it does have 165 K miles. I had the check engine light go on after about a week after I bought it so I did some investigation. About a day after the light came on it went into safe mode so I was thinking the battery might be wacky because the original owner said he just replaced it. Sure enough, I look in the back to find a WALMART battery! It was about the same size as a motorcycle battery! So I replaced it and all the lights went off. I also have the airbag sensor on and the abs light on. The abs light went off after I fixed the brakes. But, the other day I was driving and my check engine light came on. Shortly after the abs light came back on and now it keeps going into safe mode. I drove out last night in orange county and all of a sudden when I would stop at a light it would go down to about 500 rpms and start shaking. I don't know that much about cars and I'm not sure what could be the issue. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
D

It's possible that the alternator is going bad and not charging the battery. The problems you are having are typical on a BMW if voltage is low. That may be why the Previous Owner put a new battery in it. You did put a battery in it that is specifically for your car, right?

Dinan325I

I had a similar problem. The cause of your issue maybe be different than mine. I had to replace several items. It seemed to be a snow ball effect. Have your mechanic check the mass air sensor, and blower resistor. When I replaced the sensor the check engine light turned off. The resistor was the item that drained my battery. Every time I turned everything off in the car the blower would still send air in to the car's cabin and slowly killed my battery. Replaced it a few months ago and no problem as of yet. Hope this helps.